*** Call for Abstracts *** —> [ PDF ]
*** Entry Form *** —> [ PDF ]
*** ( Save blank Entry Form to your computer before entering data ) ***
SCCPDS “EXCELLENCE IN RESEARCH” AWARD
SURGICAL CRITICAL CARE PROGRAM DIRECTORS SOCIETY (SCCPDS)
*** Submission Deadline: May 1, 2017 ***
Submit Entry Form and Abstract to SCCPDS Webmaster:
2016 SCCPDS Excellence in Research Awards: Winner - Cherisse Berry (ACS2) - Prospective evaluation of post-traumatic vasospasm and post-injury functional outcome assessment: Is cerebral ischemia going unrecognized in patients with traumatic brain injury? Honorable Mention - Rishi Rattan (SCC2) - Patients With Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infection Presenting With Sepsis Do Not Require Longer Duration Of Antimicrobial Therapy Honorable Mention - Tony Geilow (ACS1) - Higher PE Rate In Overweight (BMI 25-29.9) And Obese (BMI>30) With Standard Chemical Prophylaxis Honorable Mention - David Hampton (ACS1) - Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta (REBOA) Can Be Deployed Rapidly and Safely By Acute Care Surgeons Honorable Mention - Cindy Hsu (EM-SCC2) - Role of targeted temperature management in hanging-induced cardiac arrest Honorable Mention - Aisha Shaheen (SCC1) - Hepatobiliary (HIDA) Scans Should Be Used to Confirm Acute Cholecystitis in Critically Ill Patients with a Non-Biliary Admitting Diagnosis Prior to Placement of a Percutaneous Cholecystostomy
This award will be given annually to recognize Fellows in Surgical Critical Care (SCC) and Acute Care Surgery (ACS) for significant research endeavors and contributions.
II. Goals and Objectives
1. The award is intended to encourage excellence in clinical or education research.
It is established to recognize meritorious research in SCC or ACS which will:
a. Contribute to our treatment and/or understanding of patients, or
b. Enhance the education and training of SCC or ACS Fellows
2. The award is given to current Fellows in SCC or ACS.
Residents and Faculty are not eligible for the award.
III. Eligibility Criteria
- Applicant must be a current Fellow enrolled in one of the following Programs:
a. ACGME-accredited SCC Fellowship Program
b. AAST-approved ACS Fellowship Program
c. ABS-approved SEPSEP Fellowship Program
2. Applicant must not have completed Fellowship training prior to the notification of
award recipients in June.
3. Applicant must have conducted the majority of the research during Fellowship at the
Fellowship Program institution.
4. Applicant must be first author of the research abstract and have a minimum of one co-
author from the Fellowship Program institution.
5. Applicant must have one SCCPDS Member sponsor to attest to eligibility.
6. Applicant may only submit one abstract entry per year.
IV. Submission of Abstracts
1. A Call for Abstracts will be announced by SCCPDS in February annually.
2. Abstracts must not contain any identifying names of Fellow, authors, or institution.
3. Entry Forms and de-identified research abstracts (1-page maximum) should be sent by
the Fellow applicants to SCCPDS Webmaster.
4. The Deadline for receipt of abstract submissions will be May 1 annually.
5. SCCPDS Webmaster will collect and distribute de-identified abstracts for scoring.
6. An abstract cannot be submitted to both “Excellence in Research” and “Innovation in
Education” Award competitions concurrently.
V. Evaluation Process
1. The SCCPDS Board of Directors (or a designated SCCPDS Committee) will serve as the
judging committee and select the recipients of the awards.
2. Awards will be selected and announced in June annually.
VI. Award Amount
- One “”Excellence in Research” Award and up to 5 Honorable Mention Award recipients will be selected annually.
- The “Excellence in Research” Award recipient will receive:
a. $2,000.00 prize, plus
b. Reimbursement (maximum $3,000.00) of travel, housing, and
registration expenses for the award recipient to attend the
SCCPDS Annual Business Meeting at the American College of
Surgeons Clinical Congress
- The “Excellence in Research” Award recipient must attend the SCCPDS Annual Business Meeting to accept the award.
- Each of the 5 Honorable Mention Award recipients will receive a $1,000.00 prize.
- The “Excellence in Research” Award recipient will be expected to give a 5-minute summary report of the winning research at the SCCPDS Annual Business Meeting.
- This summary is a brief award-acceptance report at the SCCPDS Annual Business Meeting and should not be regarded as a national presentation of research.